Logo
  E57F5 transmission rebuild kits? Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

All Trac Wagon    General Boards    Drivetrain  ›  E57F5 transmission rebuild kits?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

E57F5 transmission rebuild kits?  This thread currently has 3,638 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
March 17, 2014, 4:07am Report to Moderator
Guest User
planning ahead here. when i eventually need to replace my clutch, i want to have my trans rebuilt. i've found that a huge part of the cost of these rebuilds is the kits, which range from overpriced to horrendously overpriced. my goal is to find one that is merely overpriced and hang on to it until i need it.

on the 4wd tercel forum, people have had little success in tracking the kits down until someone recently got serious about it. he found the prices ranged from $540 to $1100 for the same kit.

has anyone here looked into this already?
March 17, 2014, 4:33am Report to Moderator
Guest User
just did a quick search now. 'PowerTorque' makes a rebuild kit that looks like it should work for E57F5 transmissions. its part # is BK191WS.

with shipping to seattle:

o'reilly's has the kit listed as currently unavailable and $920.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/sit.....=C0070&ppt=C0338

advance auto has it listed as available at $654:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.c.....s&zoneAssigned=1

here's the weird thing: both sites list the kit as fitting sr5 CATs but not dlx CATS. i have a friend who works at a parts place so i've asked him to look into this more to confirm that it should in fact fit the E57F5 trans.

the same kit is available without synchros but i didn't bother looking at it since the synchros are the main reason i want the kit.

if anyone else has any further info, please let me know.
Reply: 1 - 37
March 17, 2014, 8:06pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
the plot thickens.

it looks like the kit above does not actually fit CATs so please disregard my above post. instead, the closest match i can find is part #BK385WS. here is the confusing part though: it is listed for E57 transmissions, but for years '92-'99. it appears the E57 is unique to the CAT so i don't understand how an E57 rebuild kit could be listed for years long past CAT production.
Reply: 2 - 37
Rogue
March 17, 2014, 8:41pm Report to Moderator

Florida, USA
Maximum Member
I wouldn't trust anything made in China to be inside my gearbox.  Not sure where those kits are made, just saying.  Interesting that such a kit is available.  I was planning to take my original gearbox to a rebuilder and have them replace all synchros and whatever gears needed to be changed out.

Toyota does sell a gasket kit for a rebuild.  It was about $40 when I got mine a year or so ago, but as you know Toyota prices jump each year.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 37
March 18, 2014, 12:12am Report to Moderator
Guest User
I was going through my old emails last night, I think I have info on a whole variety of toyota gearbox rebuild kits. I'm at work now.. so can't check till I'm home..

Please PM me a reminder or send me a holla on the facebook page if I haven't got back to you in a day or two..
Reply: 4 - 37
March 18, 2014, 6:55pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
had a friend who works at a parts place do some digging and he confirmed that it does appear that the trans rebuild kit part # BK385WS is for E57 transmissions. however, the transfer case requires its own rebuild kit, part # BK307A.

the best deal i have found on BK385WS so far is through this site, at $430 (plus shipping, i assume). i have not been able to find a price for BK307A yet.

http://allstategear.com/

EDIT just got this message from allstategear:

The synchronizer rings are no longer available from our suppliers.

We can only supply a bearing and seal kit.
Reply: 5 - 37
March 31, 2014, 2:34am Report to Moderator
Guest User
E-series gearboxes are very common, used in camrys and rav4's into the early 2000's I think and before that, they were used in MR2's 4agze AE92'S and CELICA 4WD's, so I rekon there would be a matching synchromesh that was used on one of the other boxes. It's very common for Toyota to use the same parts in many different vehicles.
I could be wrong but I think 'forum member '4agze' mentioned on his thread the ATW's getting a 3piece synchro upgrade in 1992 that was the same as the celica 4wd 3 piece synchro..
Reply: 6 - 37
March 31, 2014, 3:05am Report to Moderator
Guest User
I just posted on a couple of existing E-series gearbox threads over on Toymods.. and asked if any knows which boxes if any share the same synchros
Reply: 7 - 37
March 31, 2014, 10:59pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
These are the replies that came back, ..seems my assumption about cross swappable synchros was wrong..

www.toymods.org.au
Default Re: E-series transmission interchangeability
there is no such thing as a 'rebuild kit". every part is separate

you cant swap and change syncros between the models. each version has its own syncro/hub/gear combo. whilst i can generally work out what is needed as ive fixed so many, the only way to be 100% sure is have the VIN of the car the box came out of

parts stocked by my business. PM me if you want parts
===

Default Re: E-series transmission interchangeability

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyCoolWagon  View Post
Do any of the E-series boxes share the same synchro, or can a later synchro be used as an upgrade.

Few of the guys on alltracwagon.net in America are finding it hard to get rebuild kits for their E57F5 boxes.

As stated there are no rebuild-kits so-to-speak, but synchro and synchro/bearing sets are sold, as those are the usual parts that need replacing. The E-51 did get uprated synchros a few years after production ended, however, as the original ones turned out to be a bit under-designed for the heavy gears, etc. that were used in that tranny. 2nd and 3rd gear in particular were problematic over time.
===
Reply: 8 - 37
Rogue
April 1, 2014, 4:25am Report to Moderator

Florida, USA
Maximum Member
Thanks for the legwork Jed.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 37
April 2, 2014, 5:53am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Sounds like Terryo, the guy who replied first could post the items needed based on VIN number.
Reply: 10 - 37
4agze
January 22, 2015, 3:31am Report to Moderator

Arizona, usa
Administrator Group
Lets talk manual trans and synchros. I have a 1988 celica st165 manual trans. This the e50f2. If is very much like the manual e57f5 in the ae95 but it has a viscous center diff instead of the mechanical lock.  This means that the center diff setup is different between the two but the main gear stack is the same design with just a little difference in some of the ratios.

E50F2 1st:3.384 2nd:2.045 3rd:1.333 4th:0.972 5th:0.731 reverse:3.583 final:4.285

E57F5 1st:3.383 2nd:2.045 3rd:1.333 4th:0.918 5th:0.775 reverse:3.358 final:3.722

All of the E series transmission either front or awd have a similar build for the gear stack.
Here is what the gear stack looks like

How ever around 92, 93 model years most of the E series trans got upgrade to the synchros for 2nd and 3rd gear. However the thing that has never been talked about is the fact that before toyota came out with the triple cone synchro update in 92 there was an updated in design. This being if you order new synchros you will get ones of a different design.

Here is what the normally look like.

Here is what the updated one look like.

I have order new synchros for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.  Some people have had problems with 5th but that can actually be replaced with the transmission still. In the car.  Now for new synchros, dog keys, spring, washer and seals, ran just about $200 my cost i would say just over $300 retail. If you remove and disassemble the trans your self then just take the gear stack down to a trans shop they should not charge much to press apart the shaft and swap in the new syncrhos. Then you put it back together.

One last this is if you want to replace the input shaft seal. The input shaft bearing will have to be removed and most likely will damage the bearing so it would be wise to order a new bearing if you want to replace this seal.

I should finish the rebuild this weekend i will try to take more pic. Also here is the rebuild manual for the E50F2 but should all be the same for the E57F5.

http://bgbonline.celicatech.com/90alltrac/MT/MT.htm
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 11 - 37
January 22, 2015, 5:30am Report to Moderator
Guest User
4agze, i have very little experience rebuilding transmissions so here's what i'm hoping you can answer.

between the E50F2 and E57F5, 2nd and 3rd synchos match, so that's easy. 1st is so close that i imagine it would work, right? but 4th, 5th, and reverse look like they are too different to work. how close am i?

i have dismantled a trans before so i would consider pulling mine apart, replacing the ISB, and having a shop swap new synchros for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. 4th and 5th are fine in my trans anyway.
Reply: 12 - 37
4agze
January 22, 2015, 5:54pm Report to Moderator

Arizona, usa
Administrator Group
Dlb if your order new synchro from toyota for the E57F5 you will get new synchros that like just like the one for the E50F2 this was an update toyot did for all the E series trans tell they switch to the triple synchro. The two things you need to look at and can not be done tell you have the transmission disassembled is 1 that the dog teeth on the gear are not damaged and 2 that the new synchro will grab on the gears collar. If either of these are damaged the. You will need to replace the gear. This damage will usually only happen if the trans synchros have worn out and the drive keeps grinding and try to force it into gear instead of just speed matching the shift.
I will be adding more this sat. I am going to come into my work and finish the rebuild on the trans.
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 13 - 37
January 22, 2015, 8:25pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
thanks 4agze. i didn't realize toyota still sells synchros for these transmissions. i looked up trans rebuild kits even though the synchros are the only problem mine currently has, but will give the old stealership a call.

i don't know what dog teeth look like, do you have any pics of healthy ones and damaged ones?

and how do i determine if the new synchro will grab onto the gear's collar?
Reply: 14 - 37
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Print

All Trac Wagon    General Boards    Drivetrain  ›  E57F5 transmission rebuild kits?