Logo
  4A-FE distributor differences? Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

All Trac Wagon    General Boards    Repair  ›  4A-FE distributor differences?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

4A-FE distributor differences?  This thread currently has 669 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Rogue
July 19, 2015, 8:52pm Report to Moderator

Florida, USA
Maximum Member
My '88 dizzy has been leaking a lot of oil through the shaft, which in turn leaks through the hole in the housing for the wiring (and in turn leaves a puddle of oil on top of the gearbox).  The worst part is that the leak is enough to force me to keep a close eye on the oil level and top it off every week or so.

I bought a dizzy "rebuild" kit which includes the shaft inner seal that needs to be replaced in my dizzy.  But between my friend and I and his 20 ton press, we could not remove that shaft pin in order to remove the keyway in order to change out the shaft inner seal.  Talk about a waste of $38.

My wagon being an '88, it's an oddball along with the '89, both having EFI when all the other FWD Corollas were carbureted.  GTS coupes excluded, since they had EFI 4A-GEs anyway.  I had bought a "China special" 4A-FE dizzy from ebay just to keep this problem from occurring in the interim until I have my 4A-GE finished and running.  The part numbers listed for compatibility included the dizzy for the '88-'89 All-Trac, but when I installed it, my engine would not run (though it tried to).  I had taken off the cap and done a check of the igniter & coil per the FSM, but they seemed to be OK.  I even tried swapping in my original dizzy's igniter & coil, but it still wouldn't run.  Luckily I was able to return it for a refund.  I didn't bother exchanging just in case another would have the same issue.

So... the other day I had the dizzy off for another reason, and reconnected the spark plug wires in the wrong sequence.  When I tried to start the engine, it gave the same symptom as the ebay dizzy, trying but not turning over.  Is it possible I just had the spark plug wires in the wrong places?  And I can't believe I didn't try changing their order, but it's been a month or so and I can't remember.  Or is there some kind of bizarre difference between the '88-'89 All-Trac dizzy and the '90-'92 ones (or '93-'95, next gen Corollas)?  It just doesn't make sense for there to be a difference.

Logged Offline
Private Message
4agze
July 22, 2015, 3:33am Report to Moderator

Arizona, usa
Administrator Group
From memory there where two different distributors used for the 4afe tell 92. One had the distributor cap with the ignition wires permanently attached and the other where seperate. However the functionality of both distributors is the same and should be interchangable. The later 4afe from 93 on i am not sure except for the 95 and later that are obd2. These have the ignitor moved out side the distibutor. These are also slightly smaller cause they have only one camshaft position sensor sense the obd2 engine have a crank position sensor.

I would say you might have had something hooked up wrong, or maybe installed the distributor 180 degrees off. I cant remember it that can be done on the 4afe.

Another thought might be to pick up a second distributor from the junkyard and see if you can get that one apart and rebuild it?
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 1 - 8
Rogue
July 24, 2015, 3:21am Report to Moderator

Florida, USA
Maximum Member
Thanks.  I've considered the junkyard route, but only if the distributor looked newer.  I did that with a used alternator and it's been working out fine.  But for the drive out to the junkyards where I could find a distributor, and their stupid high pricing (LKQ), I may just get another ebay dizzy and hope it works.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 8
July 27, 2015, 4:32pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
I had issues with the distributor connection because the rotor was oily. about halfway through acceleration in a gear it would start to cut out because it wasn't getting spark from the bad connection.
Reply: 3 - 8
Rogue
July 28, 2015, 12:29am Report to Moderator

Florida, USA
Maximum Member
Several years ago with my other car, the 15 year old distributor died on me.  The internal oil seal was leaking, and oil was pooling inside the housing.  The igniter sits low inside, and it died.

I can't wait to get a 4A-GE into my wagon.  The igniter & coil are external to the dizzy housing.  That seems like a better idea to me, being on the firewall and away from all the engine heat (and potential oil leak problems).

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 8
4agze
July 28, 2015, 5:00am Report to Moderator

Arizona, usa
Administrator Group
Quoted from Rogue
I can't wait to get a 4A-GE into my wagon.  The igniter & coil are external to the dizzy housing.  That seems like a better idea to me, being on the firewall and away from all the engine heat (and potential oil leak problems).

Be carefull what you wish for. I have had igniter problem with both my 4agze which is the same ingiter for the regular 4age. The good with that problem is that you can wire on a igniter from a camry. The other is the distributor sits right over the exhaust manifold which means make sure you have a good heat shield. I have melted a distributor cap before amd usually keep a spare in the car when on long trips. If you are going to do a stand a lone engine mangement. Then you can go to coil on plug and only us the distributor for a cam position sensor!
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 5 - 8
Rogue
July 28, 2015, 10:35am Report to Moderator

Florida, USA
Maximum Member
Yikes.  Thanks for the heads up.  I do plan on using my wagon for longer trips, so that is something I will have to consider.  I was thinking about having the stock dizzy heat shield ceramic coated to help deflect heat, and possibly even having a stripped-down dizzy housing coated as well.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 8
4agze
July 28, 2015, 3:14pm Report to Moderator

Arizona, usa
Administrator Group
I realy only had this problem on my 2wd with the headers. I had rapped the headers with the heat wrap cloth, and stilled melted the cap. Then i got a distributor blank that i think stopped the problem. On the ae95 i never had a problem, but it has a stock manifold with heat shield. I think that helps a lot.
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 7 - 8
sirbryanclark
October 1, 2017, 5:34pm Report to Moderator

So it goes
Baby Member
Regarding the differences between distributors, Attached plug wires, or separate plug wires style.

My car (1989) has the wires that are one piece with the distributor cap. If I wanted to switch to the style with separate plug wires and distributor cap what would I need? Is it a matter of replacing just the cap and wires? Or would i need the complete distributor in order to switch to the 2 piece style.

Part #s or any success stories with doing this would be appreciated.

thanks!
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

All Trac Wagon    General Boards    Repair  ›  4A-FE distributor differences?