Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

The pack mule  This thread currently has 40 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Rogue
August 18, 2017, 1:58pm Report to Moderator

Florida, USA
Maximum Member
I thought this might be an interesting topic to share ideas on how you've transported things using your CAT wagon.

Yesterday I needed to pick up some fence materials that I had bought.  The biggest thing was a 4" x 4" x 10' post, with three 8' posts and some 6' long slats and rails.  I removed the front passenger seat and the rear seat cushion, then lowered the rear seat backs.  This gives a nice downward slope from the rear to the passenger foot-well.  I measured inside the wagon from the hatch (closed) to the passenger foot-well, and got about 9.5'.  I was able to slide in the four posts with only the 10' post sticking out just beyond the hatch, and everything else fitting inside.

Because of my wagon's rear end corner damage, sometimes it would pop open on a bumpy road.  I've been using a ratcheting strap with just enough tension to keep my hatch closed.  I removed the hatch interior cover panel, and attached both ends of a ratcheting strap to the inside corner of the hatch metal, looping the strap through the rear seat back locks (whatever they're called).  I'll have to post a pic of that arrangement.  Anyways I used that same setup to keep the hatch mostly closed for transporting this fence material, and I also used the rear seat back locks with a ratcheting strap to keep my posts, etc from sliding side to side.

Unconventional, but it worked!

Logged Offline
Private Message
plaidward
August 18, 2017, 2:53pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
That's awesome, I love hatchbacks for the specific reason of storage with economy.
While my CAT wagon had it's 9 year hiatus, I once transported a stand-up jetski in my focus with the front passenger seat removed.
It would be much easier with the CAT though. I've thought about making a set of bolt-in bunks to transport my ski with a custom canvas cover to close up the back end when the hatch is open.
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 1 - 2
Car Guy
August 18, 2017, 4:04pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Great thread!  This might not be directly related to the topic but should be close enough.  This idea started after seeing a few CATs at parts yard with interiors ripped out.  I've been pondering whether there is a feasible way to pull both rear seat cushions and create a more storage/hauling friendly setup.  I never use my back seat for anything other than occasionally laying my golf bag on and for other misc items.  With the back seat cushions removed, a considerable amount of room is created.  Some of which is a recessed cavity where the bottom seat resides.  The 'big stereo' days are long behind this middle aged guy.  However, I thought maybe a small subwoofer could fit in that area(among many other possibilities!) and add some good sound to the speaker system.  Still utilizing the 'fold down' part of the upper rear seat design when hauling but with only a divider and no seat foam attached.  

All of this is only an idea at this point in time.  I haven't looked too closely at things but feel something could be done.

Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 2 - 2
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

All Trac Wagon    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  The pack mule

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread