Logo
  I'm back. Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

All Trac Wagon    General Boards    Photos  ›  I'm back.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

I'm back.  This thread currently has 33 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Silky smooth
January 26, 2018, 1:20am Report to Moderator
Baby Member
I'm so glad to be back and ready to start my restore.  My original intention for my Corolla was to do a Nuts & Bolts restore and some really sweet mods for her.  I was very discouraged about what i wanted to do for this car because I had no garage to work on her.  Well I've been patient and now I have a really nice garage dedicated to my project.  I expect to get heavy into it within the next couple of months.

I've already done several small mods like suspension and brakes, but the big one is the engine and transmission swap.  I'm going to use a RAV4 engine and transmission because I think it will be almost a bolt on swap other than the harness.  2005 was the last year the RAV4 had the manual transmission in the U.S.  So I wanted the 2004 or 2005 model.  About a year ago I purchased a 2004 Rav4 to use as a parts car.  Luckily, I got it on the cheap because the clutch plates are out and need to be replaced.  It has a 2.4 liter engine and manual transmission.  I also have already purchased a ST205 transmission off ebay.  The ST205 will be used to make a hybrid transmission.  It's very nice that 4AGZE already has some experience with this so I got a nice source in case i run into trouble.  

As it is, the RAV4 is worth more than my CAT, so some people might think it a crime to use it as a parts car for a CAT.  But I know everybody here would much rather have the CAT.  However my wife thinks I need to be thown down the boobie hatch.  Nonbelievers just don't get it.  Do you know how hard it is to find a RAV4 with a manual transmission?  Not quite as hard to find as a manual CAT sedan, but I had to look 2 states away just to find one.

I plan on this taking about a year or 2, which unfortunately means it might take up to 5 years.  Luckily, my business has a lot of good work right now so maybe I could hire a professional if I get into trouble with this project.  I plan on starting a build thread in the appropriate section when I start.  

Hey Jared, didn't this site have a hello section at one time?  I looked for it and decided to post here because I couldn't find it.

Ok I can't figure out how to post pictures.  Can I post them off my hard drive or do i need a url?  Hard to take my own pics if i need a url.
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message
plaidward
January 29, 2018, 4:36pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Good to see you back, sounds like a cool project! Is that the 2AZ-FE? If so, that has some stock numbers that would make this thing a nice and torquey rig!

I'm slowly still working on my 3sgte swap. I keep having issues with my daily CAT so it's been a bit discouraging...
Anyway, to post pics, I always use this site, since it's free, you just lose any rights to the images, they become an open source for anyone to use. https://postimages.org/

My 1 year project is at 4 years now I think, so your time estimate seems right. haha
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 1 - 4
Rogue
January 29, 2018, 11:55pm Report to Moderator

Florida, USA
Maximum Member
Welcome back!  I wonder if you can PM 4agze and ask about getting your old account restored.  I think there was a post about that when he took over the forums (some accounts were disabled or something).

I know the feeling about projects on hold.  I have enough parts to build 3 engines for my wagon if I wanted to    Never mind how many engines in total I have in my garage (I have 3 cars).

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 4
Silky smooth
January 30, 2018, 2:25am Report to Moderator
Baby Member
@plaidward
Yes it is the 2AZFE.  My dream was to swap the 1MZ but after seeing how much grinding 4AGZE had to do to his block, I decided to go with something that would have more of a factory fit.  I thought about the 3sgte also, but i wanted to stay N.A.  The 2AZ is a heck of an engine and it mates to the small body C-series transmission.  It is a very common engine in the USA and it will be plenty of power for my little car.  I don't like the gearing on the RAV4 transmission is why I want to swap the gears with the ST205.  Especially when the smaller tires are considered.

@rogue
I texted 4AGZE and he said when he rebuilds the website he will restore my old account.  It can be done, but he has other priorities.  It'll just have to wait.

Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 3 - 4
Silky smooth
January 30, 2018, 2:29am Report to Moderator
Baby Member
If I remember correctly we used to be able to upload pics directly to our posts as long as we kept the total under 1 MB.  I sure would like to have that option.
Logged Offline
E-mail Private Message Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

All Trac Wagon    General Boards    Photos  ›  I'm back.